The youngest and most successful
brazilian football club
It all began back in January, 1930. Desolated by the extinction of the football department of Clube Athletico Paulistano – the most successful Brazilian football club during the amateur era of national football – sixty club member sought another traditional institution in the city, the Associação Athletica das Palmeiras, which was on the verge of closing its doors due to severe financial issues, seeking a composition to unite them.
The Paulistano club owned the São Paulo 1929 champion team, and the A.A. das Palmeiras, the Chácara da Floresta football field, the capital’s largest sports venue at the time. The new club’s uniform combined the white and red of Paulistano with the black and white of Associação Athletica das Palmeiras. With Friedenreich, Brazil’s top player in the beginning of the century, São Paulo FC conquered special feats, such as winning the 1931 state title, and spearheading the Brazilian football professionalizing process in 1933.
Out of the fields, however, debts piled up and the Tricolor was once again merged, in 1935, this time with Clube de Regatas Tietê, and interrupted its football activities. Two hundred and thirty five members were extremely unhappy of losing their team and left Tietê; on December 16, 1935, they created a new São Paulo Futebol Clube, under the same name, logo, colors, uniform, and even the same São Paulo FC mascot from the Floresta district (location where the clubheld its matches).
The new club’s early years were very turbulent. After hiring Leônidas da Silva in 1942, Brazil’s top playmaker at the time, São Paulo FC made its way into a new era, filled with trophies and glory. The Tricolor won five state titles in the 1940s and was nominated the best Brazilian team of the decade. During the 1950s, more important than the 1953 and 1957 state titles was the beginning of the most ambitious project in the club’s history: construction of the then considered largest private stadium in the world, the Morumbi stadium.